Get Updates

No matter where you live, learn, or work being connected to the internet is a must have in 2015.

Communicating with family, accessing high-quality medical information, or connecting your business with the world – it’s a lot easier with fast, reliable internet. It’s also frustrating when slow connection or download speeds aren’t keeping up with demand.

That’s why the Government is investing more than $2 billion into boosting connectivity through the Ultra-Fast Broadband (UFB) programme and Rural Broadband Initiative (RBI). We’re making better broadband accessible to more Kiwis than ever before.

People in Te Awamutu are taking up better broadband in droves. In our region the build is 100% per cent complete, with 5693 households now able to connect. Better broadband will help us to connect Te Awamutu with the world.

Across New Zealand faster broadband is being delivered at pace. The latest figures tell us that, for the first phase of UFB, more than 815,000 households, schools, and businesses can connect.

Urban New Zealand isn’t the only group benefitting from better connectivity. More than 271,000 rural addresses are able to connect to high-speed broadband.

It wasn’t long ago, only one in five rural homes could connect to broadband peak speeds of at least 5 Mbps. With RBI now well underway, four in every five homes can connect. This is great news for families and businesses living rural.

There is more work to be done. By 2025, we want 99 per cent of all New Zealanders to be able to access broadband at peak speeds of 50 Mbps, and the remaining 1 per cent able to connect to at least 10 Mbps.

This will make a real difference to those who can currently only access dial-up, or in some remote areas, cannot connect at all.

New Zealand’s unique geography means getting broadband to some areas isn’t easy, but we are a Government committed to progress.

All rural hospitals and health care centres up and down the country are now able to connect to fibre with peak speeds of up to 100 Mbps.

This means lower healthcare costs, improved patient monitoring, and greater flexibility for local patients.

We want all Kiwis, living in or out of town, to have access to the economic and social benefits of high-speed connectivity.

As a Government we’ve set ambitious targets to better New Zealand’s internet connectivity across the board. Our targets are bold, and our build is on track and under budget.

Share this post